Delphi Placement Paper ( Technical)
1.machine tool drives are generally given in:
a) arithmetic progression b)geometric progression
c) harmonic progression d)none of the above
2.finite element analysis is used in
a) accurate measurement b)stress analysis
c)metallurgy d)none of the above
3.coolant is generally not used while machining
a) low carbon steel b)high carbon steel
c) cast iron d)alloy steel
4.Machinability of steel is improved by the presence of
5.negative rake angle
a)increases cutting force b)decreases cutting force
c)no effect on cutting force d)none of the above
6.the hardest tool material used is
a)coated carbide b)high speed steel
c)boron nitride d)diamond
7.stick slip phenomenon is associated with
a)spindle rotation b)belt drives
c)slide movement d)none of the above
8.Gear hobbing is
a)shaping process b)generating process
9.cutting speed of H.S.S tools while cutting low carbon steel
10.cutting speed of carbide tools while cutting low carbon steel
11.straightness that can be achieved over a length of 300mm by grinding
a).005 -.01mm b)0.1-0.2mm
12.the circularity that can be achieved by finish turning on a standard centre lathe is
13.honing can correct
c)straightness of bore d)axial curvature
14.Machine tool sliding surfaces are finish matched by
a)surface grinding b)fine milling
c)slide way grinding d)scraping
15.Close sliding fit is given by
16.60H6 can be achieved by
c)drilling d)internal grinding
17.The displacement accuracy which can be achieved on a jig boring machine
a)5/µm b)50/µm c)100/µm
18.Hardness value in cast iron can be measured in
a)shore b)BHN c)Rockwell d)none
19.Auto collimator is used to measure
a)dia upto 0.001mm b)lengths
c)straightness d)Involute error
20.Surface finish is measured by
c)sprit level d)none
21.The outside diameter of a 20 teeth 3 module gear is
a)54 b)60 c)63 d)70
22.Herring bone gear is used for
a)High speed transmission b)noise free transmission
c)Better load transmission d)none
23.In a right angle transmission by helical gears, the hand of the helix of the gears are
a)same b)opposite c)Immaterial d)none
24.Worm drive is always self-locking
25.Most hydrostatic bearings normally work under
a)constant flow system b)constant pressure system
c)constant temperature system d)constant volume system
26.Ball bearings are not generally used in crank shafts of automobiles because
a)of high cost b)of high speed c)cannot be assembled d)none
27.Bronze is used in journal bearings essential to
a)reduce friction b)reduce heat
c)eliminate oxidization d)eliminate seizing
28.The spindle of high precision cylindrical grinder is mounted on
a)Ball bearing b)Taper roller bearing
c)Hydrostatic bronze bearing d)needle bearing
29.To accelerate the flow of gases
a)nozzle is used b)diffuser is used
c)dia of pipe to increased d)none of these will help
a)acts as an accumulator b)acts as a storage for hydraulic energy
c)acts as a pressure relief d)none
31.When ice which is floating in water, melts, does the level to water
a)go up b)go down c)remain the same.
32.Hammer blow in pipe happens due to
a)friction in pipes b)change in temperature
c)stoppage of flow d)none
33.Temperature rise in fluid flow causes
a)reduction in viscosity b)increase in viscosity c)no effect
34.Ratio between velocity of sound and velocity of any object is
a)prandtl number b)Reynolds number
c)avagadro’s number d)mach number
35.Cavitaion effect in flow occurs due to
a)excess pressure b)excess temperature
c)excess flow d)none
36.In electrical locomotives ultimate transmission is by
a)AC Motor b)DC Shunt Motor
c)DC Series Motor d)Synchronous motor
37.Four beams of identical sections and lengths are made of cast iron, aluminium,steel and hardened steel. The beams are fixed at both ends; for a uniformly distributed load which will deflect least
a)cast iron b)aluminium c)steel d)hardened steel
38 . Geneva mechanism is used for obtaining
a)Intermittent motion b)accelerating motion
c)continuous motion d)none
39.Corioles component is associated with
40.Effect of increase of outside diameter of a helical compression spring on its rigidity is
a)increased rigidity b)decreased rigidity
c)no effect d)dry friction
41.Jominey curve is related to the study of
42.TTT diagram is used in
a)surface finish b)heat treatment
c)stress analysis d)thermodynamics
43.Mehanite is the name given to a type of
a)alloy steel b)granite
c)nodular cast iron d)cast iron
44.Unwanted impurity in molten aluminium is
a)oxygen b)carbon dioxide
45.Hardness in steel is a s a result of
a)martensitic structure b)pearlitic structure
c)leduburetic structure d)austenitic structure
46.piston of an IC engine is made out of
a)cast iron b)steel casting c)beryllium alloy d)aluminium alloy
47. The crank shaft of a 300 HP IC engine is
a)hot forged b)shell moulded
c)cold forged d)obtained through investment casting
48. A 6kg ball is suspended from two wires of equal length. The angle between the wires is 90 degrees. What is the tension in each wire?
49. A 523 kg experimental rocked sted can be accelerated from rest to 1602 km/h in 1.82s. what net force is required?
50. A force that averages 984N is applied to a 0.42kg steel ball moving at 13.8 m/s by a collision that lasts 0.027s. if the force is in a direction opposite to the initial velocity of the ball, what is the final speed of the ball?
51. a stone initially at rest is dropped over the edge of a very tall building. Taking g as 10m/s2 , what was the change in the speed of the stone building during the 4th second?
52. how long will it take a 2000w motor to lift a 320kg container vertically upwards for 26m?(g = 9.8m/s2)
53. a collision between two isolated items will in generally conserve
a. the total kinetic energy and the total momentum of the system
b. the total kinetic energy but not the total momentum of the system
c. the total momentum but not the total kinetic energy of the system
d. the momentum of each object
what is the force exerted on a submarine window of 2m2 area, if the submarine is at a depth of 2km below the surface?(the density of sea water is 1.03X103 kg/m3)
54. How many of the following statements are true:
a. the buoyant force on a body depends on the shape of the body
b. the buoyant force on a body always acts in the same direction
c. the buoyant force on a body depends on the mass of the body
d. the buoyant force on a body depends on the density of the fluid surrounding the body
55. A body partially floats with 2/3rds of its volume under the surface of a fluid. If the density of the fluid is X kg/m3, what is the density of the body?
a)3/2 X kg/m3 b)2/3 X kg/m3
c)14.7 X kg/m3 d)0.15 X kg/m3
56. how many atoms are present in a mole of CH4 ?
(avagadro’s number = 6.023X1023 /mole)
57. A power station generates 500MW of power and exhausts 800MW as waste heat into the environment. What is the efficiency of the power station?
Delphi Placement Paper ( Word & Phrases)
Directions: For questions 1 to 5. Each sentence below has one or two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Beneath the sentence are four lettered words or sets of words. Choose the word or set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence a whole.
1.Though science is often imagined as a _______ exploration of external reality, scientists are no different from anyone else: they are ______ human beings enmeshed in a web of personal and social circumstances.
a) fervent..vulnerable b) neutral..rational c) painstaking..careless d) disinterested..passionate
2. Among the many ______ of the project, expense cannot be numbered; the goals of the project promoters can be achieved with impressive ______.
a) highlights..efficiency b) features..savings c) disadvantages..innovation d) defects..economy
3.A leading chemist believes that many scientists have difficulty with stereochemistry because much of the relevant nomenclature is ______ in that it combines concepts that should be kept ______.
a) obscure..interrelated b) impressive..discrete c) subtle..inviolate d) descriptive..seperate
4.The old man could not have been accused of ______ his affection; his conduct towards the child betrayed his ______ her.
a) lavishing..fondness for b) sparing..tolerance of c) rationing..antipathy for d) stinting..adoration of
5.Many of the earliest colonial houses that are still standing have been so modified and enlarged that the ______ design is no longer ______.
a) pertinent..relevant b) initial..discriminable c) embellished..attractive d) appropriate..applicable
Directions: For questions 6 to 10. In each of the following question, a related pair of words or phrases is followed by four lettered pairs of words or phrases. Select the lettered pair that best expresses the relationship similar to that expressed in the original pair.
6.MISER : THRIFT
a) performer : artistry b) chauvinist : patriotism
c) mimic : ridicule d) politician : compromise
7. VOTING : ROLL CALL
a) termination : cloture b) amendment : constitution
c) majority : concession d) quorum : filibuster
8. ARTICULATE : CLEARLY
a) orate : strongly b) shout : loudly
c) lecture : willfully d) malign : incoherently
9. TALON : EAGLE
a) fang : snake b) hoof : horse
c) claw : panther d) quill : porcupine
10. INSULIN : PANCREAS
a) bile : liver b) menthol : eucalyptus
c) oxygen : heart d) honey : bee
Directions : For questions from 11 to 15. Each question below consists of a word printed in capital letters, followed by four lettered words or phrases. Choose the lettered word or phrase that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word in the capital letters.
a) expressive b) Felicitous c) well-defined d)nearly perfect
a) disappear b) disperse c) link d) activate
a) soliloquy b) trilogy c) analogue d) epilogue
a) hold close b) put on guard c) challenge d) entertain
a) converge b) inhibit c) audit d)minimize
In a telecommunication – cable assembly plant, cables are assembled by twisting plastic – coated wires together. There are wires of exactly six different solid colors – red, yellow, violet, green, white and black. Wires must be assembled into single cable according the following rules.
a. Each cable must contain at least three wires and wires of at least three different colors.
b. At most two wires in a single cable can be black
c. At most two wires in a single cable can be white
d. There can be at most one wire of each of the other colors in a single cable
e. If one wire is red, then one wire must be yellow.
f. If one wire is violet, then no wire can be green.
16. Which of the following could be the complete set of wires in an acceptable cable?
a. A green wire, a white wire and a violet wire
b. A violet wire, a black wire and white wires
c. A red wire, a black wire and a green wire
d. A yellow wire and exactly two black wires
17. If exactly one black wire and exactly one white wire are used in an assembled cable, which of the following must be true
a. the cable contains no more than five wires
b. the cable contains exactly six wires
c. the cable contains a yellow wire
d. the cable does not contain a red wire
18. The maximum number of wires that can be used in an acceptable is
a) 8 b) 7 c) 6 d) 4
19. If a white wire and a violet wire must be among the wires choose for a particular cable, any of the following pairs of wires could complete the cable except a
a. black wire and a second white wire
b. yellow wire and second white wire
c. yellow wire and a black wire
d. red wire and a black wire
20. If an assembled cable consists of five wires, each a different colour, it could be true that a colour not used is
a) Black b) White c) Green d) Red
21. If there is an additional requirement that violet wire must be used, if yellow is used, which of the following must be true?
a. No cable contains fewer than six wires
b. No cable contains more than five wires
c. Green is never used if red is used
d. Red is always used if violet is used
The manager of a radio program is going to future six Vocalists – M,N,P,Q,R and S – on an half-an-hour radio show during the course of one week. She will feature one vocalist on the show each day from Monday through Saturday. The manager must schedule the vocalists for the show according to the following conditions.
M must be featured earlier in the week than R
P must be featured on Tuesday
Q must be featured on the day immediately before or immediately after the day on which N is featured.
22. If N is to be featured on Thursday, the earliest day on which R can be featured is
a) Monday b) Tuesday c) Wednesday d) Friday
23. If S is to be featured on Friday, M must be featured on
a) Monday b) Tuesday c) Wednesday d) Thursday
24. If Q is to be featured on Thursday, the latest day on which M can be featured is
a) Monday b) Tuesday c) Wednesday d) Friday
25. Which of the following vocalist can be featured on Monday?
a) N b) P c) Q d) S
26. If S is to be featured on Thursday, which of the following is true?
a) M must be featured on Wednesday b) N must be featured on Saturday c) Q must be featured exactly two days after R is featured d) R must be featured on Wednesday
27. If S is to be featured on Friday, what is the total number of acceptable schedules available to the manager?
a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4
Directions: For Question 28 to 30. Each Question or group of questions is based on a passage or set of conditions. In answering some of the questions, it may be useful to draw a rough diagram. For each question, select the best answer choice given.
An instrument has exactly six keys, each sounding a different note. The notes are K, L, M, N, O and P. Playing this instrument involves playing successive chords; each consisting of three of the notes produced simultaneously;
Notes K and N can only be produced simultaneously. Notes L cannot be produced simultaneously with note O. a chord can neither be the same as the one immediately is nor be the same as the one immediately after it.
28.Each of the following is an acceptable chord EXCEPT
a) KLP b) KMN c) KNP d) LMP e) MOP
29.Chord LMP could be immediately followed by each of the following chords EXCEPT
a) KLN b) KMN c) KNP d) LMP e) MOP
30. Which of the following pairs of notes can be played simultaneously with K to produce an acceptable chord?
a) LM b) LO c) LP d) MN e) OP
31. If both filling and emptying pipes of a pool are open, the pool fills in 10 hours. If just the filling pipes are open, the pool fills in 4 hours. How many hours does it take to empty the pool if just the emptying pipes are open
a) more than 5 but less than 6 b) exactly 5 c) more than 6 d) exactly 6
32. a cube has an edge of 4, if the cube is split into cubes with edges of 2, what is the total surface area of the smaller cubes ?
a) 32 b) 64 c) 96 d) 192
33. a man traveled along a straight road from a town P to town Q at a uniform rate of 30 miles/hour, he then returned at a uniform rate of 60 miles/hour. What was his average rate for the round trip in miles/hour?
a) 35 b) 38 c) 40 d) 45
34. Exactly how many degrees are there between the hands of a clock at 3:40 pm
a) 110 b) 120 c) 130 d) 140
35.a man walked diagonally across a square plot. What was the percent saved by not walking along the edges?
a) 20 b) 22 c) 24 d) 30
36. A gallon of oil is poured to a cubical container 7 inches on an edge. About how high in inches does the oil rise in the container? (I gallon = 231 cubic inches)
a) 3.8 b) 4.2 c) 4.7 d) 5.2
37. the time allowed for completing a certain piece of work is 40 days. By extending the time by 10 days we find that 25 fewer man will be needed. How many men are required to finish the work in 40 days?
a) 115 b) 125 c) 135 d) 145
38. A whistle blows every 14 minutes and a bell rings every 12 minutes. If the whistle and bell both sound together at 12 :00 noon, at what time, afternoon, will they first sound together again ?
a) 2:48 b) 2:24 c) 1:54 d) 1:24
39. A truck can hold 3 cubic yards of sand. If a cubic foot of a sand weighs 80 pounds, the weight of the truck load of sand in pounds is
a) 240 b) 270 c) 2160 d) 6480
40. A ship sails 60 miles south, 90 miles east and 60 miles south again. How many miles is it from its starting point ?
a) 120 b) 135 c) 150 d) 160
41. The formula h= 16t2 represents the distance h; infeet, that an object falls from rest after 1 seconds. In how many seconds will an object fall 400 ft.
a) 2 b) 3 c) 4 d) 5