Full Interview) Ciena India Pvt. Ltd.
Ciena called me for a full day interview at their Gurgaon facility. This was of course preceded by a preliminary telephonic interview (With Abhishek Singh)
On 10-Aug-2007, when I reached Ciena facility in the morning, I waited for a few minutes before HR (Ravi Wadhawa) escorted me inside for the interviews. I was impressed by the look feel and the environment of their office.
Interview 1: Jim Wensink - TECHNICAL
After a few minutes wait, Jim entered the meeting room I was wainting in. I was little tense before the interview. Jim was cool like cucumber and made me feel so relaxed within few minutes that interview wasnt like an interview, it was more like a little informal discussion.
He started by asking a few general questions like why I was looking for a change and how did I prepare for this interview and then slowly moved on to OS questions specifically VxWorks.
Question were like-
* Whats RTOS, why RTOS?
* Differences between GPOS & RTOS.
* Scheduling, priority inversion/inharitance.
* Priority inharitance bug in Vxwroks 5.3 which I didnt know about. Jim explaning me this issue in VxWorks 5.3 and that WindRiver fixed it in newer version 5.4.
* Some C++ question on inharitance, virtual methods.
* What happens when base class pointers pointing to inherited call object. Would a compiler give an error?
* Simple C questions like- returning local from a function, passing by value/reference.
* Now if you are linking a.o with math.lib which also has above two functions, what would be the result? If there is no error, why?
* How library file are included during linking?
* If you remove add() function definition from above code and then link with math.lib, results is an error. Why?
This discussion lasted close to an hour.
Interview 2: Preeti Singh - TECHNICAL
This interview too was in lines of the first one. Preeti asked me questions on C++, Sonet and C.
* Inheritance in C++.
* About my earlier work on SONET.
* She was from Transwitch asked me what transwitch devices we used in our products.
* Drivers used. Did we use our own drivers or supplied drivers from vendors. Why/Why not?
* little endian/big endian.
* C program to convert little endian to big endian. Implement htons.
* Convert little to big endian using UNIONS. ( I coudnt do this one).
* Padding in structures. How to do it?
* Word alignment. Exception generated when there is a misaligned address.
* Why alignment is required?
* Bitwise calculations.
* Adding four numbers using bitwise operator. Why bitwise?
* How bitwise operations are better than simple addition?
Lasted 45 minutes. Preeti didnt look too happy in the end.
I was impressed with the lunch served at Ciena. Simple, best possible quality and free of cost.
Interview 3: Kanwal Jawanda - HR
This was the final interview for the day. Most of the time Kanwal was talking about Ciena's past and market Ciena operates in . He talked about Competitors, Financials, Acquisitions, India presence etc.
* Why I was looking for a change.
* Salary etc.
Rest of the discussion was trivial as most of the HR rounds are.
Career Website: http://ciena.com/careers/JobSearch.aspx
Ciena India Private Ltd.
Plot Number 14, Sector 32
Gurgaon, Haryana 122002
Official Website: www.ciena.com
Submitted By : Anonymous, Bangalore.