TATA MOTORS PLACEMENT PAPER (THERMAL MECHANICAL)
TML conducts test for thermal mechanical. And electrical people. some of the mechanical questions I am writing here .there will be no Aptitude test. with 25% -ve marking. its a 50 questions test for 1 hour. i won't list the options. some of the questions are:
1. What is the poison’s ratio?
2. When boiler bursts, whom u would inform?
3. Modular ratio?
4. Envelope of damped free vibration?
5. A ball with a mass M is falling on to the ground with some velocity V1 and raising with velocity V2 . find the impulse?
6. Contd.. for 5th problem. When time of contact is given then force exerted on the ground.
7. two masses are connecting with string on to pulley coefficient of friction of mass m1 is given and also m1 and m2 are given. Find the relation b/n m1 and m2 , to make m2 move downwards
8. In a damped free excitation system maximum amplitude occurs
1. before resonance b. after resonance
9. Questions on set screws?
10. A four bar link mechanism is given with moment m acting on crank and also a force given at crank end. Find the reaction at hinged end of crank.
11. Deflection due to self weight of a uniform rod of diameter D and unit density and length is given .
12. The type of key used in wrist watch?
13. Bending stress is proportional to….? Ans). Section modulus
14. The hypoid gears are …. Ans). Non intersecting non parallel gears.
15. Hollow cylinder of outer D0 is given find the diameter of solid cylinder for the same material and same torsion strength. ?
16. principle plane is ?
17. Two masses are resting on a inclined plane with 30 degree angle and the two masses are welded with weightless rod and coefficients of friction is given. Find the common acceleration of a two masses.
18. two masses are of different weights smaller one is placed on the bigger mass. If the force is force is acting on bigger mass given find the acceleration of smaller mass.
19. Stress on minor diameter of bolt when bolt is subjected to longitudinal force.
20. no of independent elastic constants required for isotropic material?
21. pitch of the bolt of 30 mm metric thread diameter is?
22. the ratio of natural frequency on earth to moon?
23. upper portion of set screw is given fig shown and asked which type of set screw is ?
24. Efficiency of screw jack formula?
25. which of the parts given is harder one? Ans a). inner case b) outer case like that?
26. Max efficiency of screw jack formula?
27. Given some c/s of diffirent types which is having more torsional strength ?
28. Max principle stress theory is valid for which material?
29. efficiency of reveted joints of different types has given which is having max efficiency ?
30. if the roots are real then which type of vibrations will occur in damped systems ?
31. problem on transmissibility ?
32. when the disc is rotating on which on man is standing at the edge then
what is the possibility of increase in speed of the disc?
A)man moves towards center b) out ward?
33. what is the principle behind the collisions of ball ?which is related to Q.7 ? ans constant linear momentum.
34. Find the elongation of the bar due to self weight
35. Problem on the cantilever deflection
36. Problem on the two blocks connected by string one is on table and on is hanging from the pulley…mechanics’ problem
37. Ratio of the tension of the band block breaks
38. max and normal efficiency of the power skew
39. what is monel metal
40. for which material max normal stress theory is used
41. efficiency of the riveted joints
42. coefficient of friction for the greased ball bearing
43. which key is used in wrist watch
44. bending stress is proportional to 1. directly/inversely proportional to section modulus
45. find the width of the strongest beam that can be cut of cylindrical log of wood whose diametre is ‘d’
46. If the phi is friction angle then which of the following can not be the value of the tan(phi) a) 0 b) 1.5 mu etc. Ans is 0
47. problem on the transmissibility …to calculate dynamic amplitude
TATA MOTORS, MTC, JAMSHEDPUR
The test consisted of 2 parts aptitude and technical.
Aptitude part cosisted of regular stuff like RC s, Maths, Analogies Word Meanings etc.
There was negative marking of abt 1/3 mark for every wrong question.
The maths section of Aptitude consisted of a lots of questions of probability.
I woud suggest that u get all your probability fundas in place before the test.
Rest all was regular stuff.
English section was relatively the easiest.
Then there was technical section.
U need to be technically very sound to answer these question.
Technical questions were really tough and they had some question from the stuff we study in +2 like ideal gas equation, vander wals eqn etc.
Bottom line for clearing the test is to give in your best in aptitude section. Questions in apt are easier and less time consuming.
After the test there was GD for the students who got through.
We got to discuss on the topic "Should higher education in India be Privatised"
After GD students who got through were interviewed.
There were around 6-7 DGM and AGM s(Was really Scary Situation) throwing questions of all sorts at you.
There were some HR questions in start like Tell us something about yourself, what does your father do,would you be comfortable if sent to Places like Pune, Jamshedpur , Dharwad or Lucknow etc
Then there was some hardcore technical stuff. Most of the people were asked about their Projects both while Training and their major projects. Sp be very clear about them.
Some people like me were asked about their fav subject which in my case was quality control and inspection and i was asked about control charts...... and about engine working.
One amazing thing i found was that all the people taking interview were really polite and were really encouraging. So i would suggest you to be calm and composed, if u dont know something just potray your ignorance and they would not mind. Wromg answers and guesses irritated them.
Average time taken up in interview was around 25minutes.
Finally after the interview process results were declared and by God s grace i got through the process.