ONMOBILE PLACEMENT PAPER (APTITUDE)
1. One guy has Rs. 100/ in hand. He has to buy 100 balls. One football costs Rs. 15/, One Cricket ball costs Re. 1/ and one table tennis ball costs Rs. 0.25 He spend the whole Rs. 100/ to buy the balls. How many of each balls he bought?
SOL:- F + C + T = 100eq1
15F + C + 0.25T = 100eq2
eq1=eq2 .solve to get F=3T/56 ;F=3,T=56,C=41
2. Bird and the train:
The distance between Station Atena and Station Barcena is 90 miles. A train starts from Atena towards Barcena. A bird starts at the same time from Barcena straight towards the moving train. On reaching the train, it instantaneously turns back and returns to Barcena. The bird makes these journeys from Barcena to
the train and back to Barcena continuously till the train reaches Barcena. The bird finally returns to Barcena and rests. Calculate the total distance in miles the bird travels in the following two cases:
(a) the bird flies at 90 miles per hour and the speed of the train is 60 miles per hour there is no need to consider their meeting pt at all. the train has been running for 90miles/(60miles/hr)=1.5hrs.bird flies till train reaches destination from starting point. so bird flies for1.5hrs at the velocity given(90).so dist=1.5*90=135miles
(b) the bird flies at 60 miles per hour and the speed of the train is 90 miles per hour time of train=1hr.so distance of bird=60*1=60miles
3. A tennis championship is played on a knockout basis, i.e., a player is out of the tournament when he loses a match.
(a) How many players participate in the tournament if 15 matches are totally played?
sol:- C u don't need to sum it up. since it's a knock out only 1 person emerges winner finally.so15+1=16is answer. because after15 matches finally we should've 15 losers and 1winner.
(b) How many matches are played in the tournament if 50 players totally
sol:- 49.its always one less then number of players as per the idea i have given above. so no need to check okay because its always true. ans is 49.
4. When I add 4 times my age 4 years from now to 5 times my age 5 years
from now, I get 10 times my current age. How old will I be 3 years from now?
sol:- Let x= current age
4(x+4)+5(x+5)=10x ;so x=Ò 41 years
5.A rich merchant had collected many gold coins. He did not want anybody to know about them. One day, his wife asked, "How many gold coins do we have?" After pausing a moment, he replied, "Well! If I divide the coins into two unequal numbers, then 37 times the difference between the two numbers equals the difference between the squares of the two numbers." The wife looked puzzled. Can you help the merchant's wife by finding out how many gold coins.
sol:- 37(xy)=x^2y^2. u no tht x^2y^2=(xy)(x+y).so (xy) cancels on both sides to give x+y=37.so sum of unequal halves=37 which is the req answer.
6. A set of football matches is to be organized in a "round robin" fashion, i.e., every participating team plays a match against every other team once and only once.
If 21 matches are totally played, how many teams participated?
ans:7 teams . for a match u need 2 teams. suppose there r totally 'n 'teams. Now u have to choose 2 teams out of 'n' teams. so answer =no of such choices=no. of possible combinations. So we've ans = nC2(ncombination2)=21;solve to get n=7.
Sol: n(n1)/2=21. so n=7.if u don't understand c the graph below each team plays no. of matches=no of teams ahead of it. One bar '|' represents one team.
| | | | | | | 7
6 5 4 3 2 1 0 21
last team is written as 0 matches because this team has already played with all other teams hence sum of matches =6+5+4+3+2+1=21 which is correct only if no of
7. Glenn and Jason each have a collection of cricket balls. Glenn said
that if Jason would give him 2 of his balls they would have an equal number;
but, if Glenn would give Jason 2 of his balls, Jason would have 2 times as many
balls as Glenn. How many balls does Jason have?
solve these 2 to get J=14
8. Suppose 8 monkeys take 8 minutes to eat 8 bananas.
(a) How many minutes would it take 3 monkeys to eat 3 bananas?
Sol: each monkey takes 8 min to eat a banana
(b) How many monkeys would it take to eat 48 bananas in 48 minutes
9.It was vacation time, and so I decided to visit my cousin's home. What a grand time we had! In the mornings, we both would go for a jog. The evenings were spent on the tennis court. Tiring as these activities were, we could manage only one per day, i.e., either we went for a jog or played tennis each day. There were days when we felt lazy and stayed home all day long. Now, there were 12 mornings when we did nothing, 18 evenings when we stayed at home, and a total of 14
days when we jogged or played tennis. For how many days did I stay at my cousin's place? Use sets and venn diagram to solve such questions.a,b aub,anb etc.
again jog+tennis=14.so solve and get
10.The Carpenter and the Nails:- A 31" x 31" square metal plate needs to be fixed by a carpenter on to a wooden board. The carpenter uses nails all along the edges of the square such that there are 32 nails on each side of the square. Each nail is at the same distance from the neighboring nails. How many nails does the carpenter use?
Ans:- 32*2 + 30*2=124
11. Man Wrinkle spent one fourth of his life as a boy, one eighth as a youth, and one half as an active man. If Man Wrinkle spent 8 years as an old man, then how many years did he spend as an active man?
sol:-(1/4)y+(1/8)y+(1/2)y =p; where y =tot life time. yp=8.since p=(14/16)y we've y=64 active age=32
12. A farmer has C chickens. A sack of feed comes for 9 days. As the feed cost is increasing the farmer sells some chickens and retains 12 chicken. If he reduces the feed quantity by 10% .Then he observes that the feed comes for 30 days. What is C?
sol: C chickens can b fed for 9 days. so C chick can eat 1/9 in 1 day. so 1 chick can eat (1/9C)in one day. after his reduction one chick gets to eat only 90% of what it used to eat in one day. so new feed value=0.9*(1/9C)for 1day.but now he has only 12 chicks. that means as per new rule feed is suitable for 12 chicks for 30 days. i.e. 0.9*(1/9C)*12*30=1. solve to get C=36
13. To be 10 min earlier means car has been driven for 10 min less then usual i.e 5 min in forward journey and 5min in backward journey. normally car reaches station at 6pm. today since it has to drive only 5 min less it reaches at 5:55.since he started to walk at 5pm.has been walking till 5:55 since that's when he sees the car. so 55 min
OnMobile Placement Paper (Aptitude Section)
1. a cube is white in color. but it is painted black on all sides. if this cube is divided into 125 smaller cubes. how many cubes will have minimum 2 sides painted black?
2. find the odd word out.. radar, redivider,motor...
ans: motor bcoz when reversed ..it is rotom...
3.there is magic dragon with 3 heads & 3 tails....u have a magic sword tht can cut 1 head,2 heads , 1 tail & 2 tails...if 1 head is cut another head grows...if 1 tail is cut 2 new tails grow...2 tails are cut a new head grows...& if 2 heads r cut nothing grows...find minimum number of swings 2 cut all heads & tails...
4. in a race omani, pakistani & nepali r discussing medal prospects...following was their discussion...
1) if nepali wins bronze, then i'm sure 2 get silver...
2) if omani wins gold then i may get silver...
3) the gold will be won by pakistani or me...
all the statements were right..find who won gold, silver & bronze?
5. there is a slowrun express tht runs btw bangalore & mumbai...it starts at 10.00pm & reaches destination @ 11.30 pm 3 days later...the train is operated on all days...if the train starts from bangalore , how many other slowrun expresses will it meet on the way..b4 reaching mumbai....???
6. there r 4 paintings...
1) painting 1 is not a oil painting...
2) painting 2 has the guy gliding or on motorcycle...
3) painting which is on tampera & tht on acrylic r on different rows..
7. a few more conditions were given & u need 2 find out the picture of each painting & the material used for each of them...
8. professor Z waz killed by 1 of his students...A,B,C,D...following were statements given by each 1 of them....
A: if B is guilty then C is innocent...
B : if C is guilty then A is innocent...
C: if B is guilty then D has nothing 2 do with the crime....
D: i'm innocent...